Monday, June 3, 2013

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad

It felt like summer over the weekend - hot and humid - and without air conditioning in our house, the kitchen was one of the last places I wanted to be. I wouldn't be complaining if it wasn't early June and we had our first heat wave and had 4 days with 90+ degree weather. When it gets hot like that, I find the dinners that require minimal to no cooking are what I enjoy the most.

This salad was perfect! I picked up a rotisserie chicken and cooked the quinoa earlier in the day. It was easy to throw it all together and Madeline loved being able to make her own dinner…and you know what, she ate it all without complaining! I think I need to let her chose how much she wants on her plate from now on.



1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup shredded chicken
1 avocado, chopped
shredded Mexican cheese
Barbecue sauce
2 scallions, chopped
salt
fresh ground pepper

In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, corn, black beans and chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer desired amount to a smaller bowl for eating. Top with cheese, barbecue sauce, avocado and scallions. Dig in!

Source: What's Gaby Cooking

No comments: