Monday, August 12, 2013

Black Bottom Pie - The Secret Recipe Club

I was in Denver last week for a convention for work and had a great time! I got to caught up with old coworkers, business associates and meet a few friends for dinner and drinks. I had a great time and wish I would have been able to explore the city a little more. Since I was away, things have been a little quiet around here. We're starting the process of packing up our house to move into our new one in less than 2 weeks. Crazy how quickly everything is happening. I'm excited to show of my new kitchen and can't wait to make our first family dinner in it! Plus it's probably THREE times the size of my current kitchen.

Today is the reveal day for August's Secret Recipe Club! My assignment was Cheese Curd in Paradise. As usual, I had a hard time narrowing down my choice but ultimately chose Ashley's recipe for Black Bottom Pie. I make Black Bottom Cupcakes but this was definitely a different version of that. I whipped it up yesterday (I know, nothing like waiting last minute to make this month's recipe) and it was the perfect thing to indulge in after a day of laundry, packing and snuggles with my kids. The chocolate layer is so rich and creamy. I loved the way the top layer was light and fluffy and helped balanced out the chocolate. It's a great pie to take to a dinner party!



graham cracker crust
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding
1 pint heavy whipping cream

Unwrap the graham cracker crust and set aside. In a small bowl, add in the 8 ounces of chocolate chips. Over medium heat, simmer the 1/2 pint of cream. Once warmed, pour the cream over the chocolate chips and mix until smooth. Pour into the crust, cover and place in the freezer for two hours.

To make the filling, whip together the pint of cream and pudding mix in the bowl of a stand mixer on high. Once stiff peaks form, spread the cream over the frozen chocolate layer. Cover and place back in the freezer for at least an hour. Cut into 8 slices and serve. Garnish with cocoa powder if desired.

No comments: