Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

I'll be taking a week off from posting as we're moving into our new house on Friday. I started packing up my kitchen last night so we're using paper plates, plastic utensils and cups and I'm not doing much cooking. Thankfully we're only moving a short distance away but it's still been a little of an inconvenience. We're so excited and I can't wait to show off our new house. It's been a long two months of negotiations, issues and stress but it's going to be all worth it in the end. For us, it's not just moving to a new house, it's going to be a complete lifestyle change. Since I won't be posting new recipes in the next week, be sure to check out my Facebook page...I'll be posting some of my favorite recipes!

This was the last meal I made in the kitchen and they were a huge hit! Madeline gobbled them an entire plate without taking a breathe and then was so excited to know we were going to have them as leftovers later in the week. I'm so glad she's finally coming around and eating like she used to eat. Ross and I both enjoyed them and I loved that they are different than the traditional stuffed peppers I make. This is definitely a keeper recipe!



3-4 large green bell peppers, cut in half and seeds removed
1 lb ground turkey breast
3 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
2 cups salsa
2 Tbsp tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the peppers cut side down in a baking dish. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until peppers are partially cooked. Remove from the oven and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Brown meat until its completely cooked. Drain any fat and then transfer the cooked meat to a bowl. In the same pan, add the remaining oil and add the vegetables. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the cooked turkey mixture and stir to combine. Mix in the salsa and the tomato paste. Stir to combine and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.

Turn the peppers over and fill with the meat and vegetable mixture. Place cut side up back in the baking dish. Bake for another 15 minutes. With about 3 minutes left, sprinkle the cheese over the top of the peppers and return to oven to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and serve.

Source: Natural Noshing

No comments: