Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Quinoa Chili

I know, it sounds like an unusual combination but it's really good. It was very filling and full of good stuff and I made it vegan...until I sprinkled some cheese on it. Cooper and I loved it, but Madeline and Ross were just eh on it. They ate it but I know it wasn't something they would want me to make again.

It's a great meal for Meatless Monday too! I'm trying to get back into eating better, it's been a bad couple of months since our move, school starting and starting my business. So give me all your clean recipes! I'm starting on Sunday!


2 - 15 oz cans low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
6 oz can tomato paste
32 oz vegetable stock
1 medium onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
salt and pepper to taste

In a pot with a heavy bottom, heat the olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onion and cook until they're soft and start to turn brown, approximately 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the tomato paste and spices and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. 

Next add the beans, stock and sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the quinoa and continue cooking for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently - until the quinoa is cooked and the sweet potatoes are fork tender. If the chili is too thick, add a little bit of water or stock to thin it out. 

Top with avocado, cheese...anything your little heart desires. 

Source: Milk Free Mom



No comments: