Monday, November 25, 2013

Meatloaf Parmesan

I rarely make meatloaf. I'm not sure why, it's just something I don't think about making when I'm putting together our weekly menus. I was searching Pinterest for inspiration last week and stumbled across a picture of this meatloaf....and onto our weekly menu it went. I had all the ingredients in my kitchen so I quickly throw everything together and into the oven it went.

Overall we were happy with it, but it was a little wet. I think next time I make it I'm going to up the amount of breadcrumbs. It was a great flavor and I liked the mixture of ground turkey and beef...changed it up and made it a lighter meatloaf.


1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup graded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. 

In a large bowl, combine the beef, turkey, breadcrumbs, eggs, spices, onion and Parmesan cheese. Place the meat mixture in the loaf pan and form it into a loaf. Top the meatloaf with the marinara sauce.

Bake for 60 to 75 minutes. Remove from the oven, check to make sure the liquids are clear when pressed on and when its completely cooked, sprinkle the top with the shredded cheese. Place back in the oven until the cheese is melted. 

Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. 


No comments: