Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Orange Barbecue Cashew Chicken

Who doesn't love Chinese food? I love that we have the option to make it at home and even though it's not what Madeline considers Chinese food, it was a great dinner and even better for lunch the next day.  I love the addition of the honey roasted cashews, it added just the right about of salt to the dish. Next time I make it, I'm going to add in other vegetables, like mini corn and snow peas.

This have been really busy around our house lately. We'll be soon decorating for Christmas and I can't wait to celebrate our first Thanksgiving and Christmas in our new house. It's going to be a little bit of a change with my decorations this year, I don't have a mantle to hang our stockings on anymore. My Rodan + Fields business is taking off - new customers and 2 new business partners in the last 30 days. I'm loving that I can share the gift of gorgeous, glowing skin with my friends, family and acquaintances...plus being able to help 2 friends with the business opportunity.


3 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 red pepper, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup orange marmalade
Dash or two of Sriacha (I used about 2 dashes to make it kid friendly, add more for additional spice)
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup honey-roasted cashews
4 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias

In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper and stir-fry until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and place in a bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.

While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce in a small bowl. Whisk together the hoisin sauce, orange marmalade, sriacha, soy sauce and chicken stock. Set aside.

Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and add in the pepper, onion and garlic. Cook until crisp-tender about 3 minutes. Add in the cooked chicken and pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables. Toss to coat and continue to cook until the sauce thickens. Add in the cashews and serve over brown rice or quiona. Top with a sliced green onions.

Slightly adapted from Rachel Ray's Look + Cook cookbook 

No comments: