Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dark Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies #fillthecookiejar

Welcome to the December edition of Fill the Cookie Jar Facebook group! This month's theme was to share your best holiday cookies. Since I've already blogged about my favorite one a couple years ago, I had to pick a new recipe! I picked a recipe that had quinoa in it...it's all the rage so I had to try it out. I absolutely loved them and can't wait to experiment with different flavors! The quinoa makes them chewy and nutty plus I don't feel as bad when I eat a couple of them...I mean quinoa is super good for you!


1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
1 cup dark chocolate morsels

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. 

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, both sugars and honey until its light and fluffy. 

Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until the batter is pale and fluffy. Mix in the flour mixture 1/2 cup at time and then stir in the quinoa and chocolate chips. 

Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls onto the prepared cookie sheets about an inch apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an air-tight container. 


No comments: