Monday, December 23, 2013

Spritz Cookies

I've had a cookie press for many years but have never attempted to use it. It's Pampered Chef, so I'm assuming it's one of the items I bought from having a party. I thought last weekend was the perfect opportunity since I signed up to make cookies for Cooper's daycare and wanted something with few ingredients and I would be comfortable with him eating.

I substituted vanilla extract in place of almond extract in the original recipe because I wasn't sure the kids would like the flavor and because I was out of almond extract. I loved the texture of these cookies and it was fun to have Madeline help me with the sprinkles. If we're feeling better tomorrow, we'll be baking up another batch to leave for Santa.



2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
sprinkles

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Beat in the egg. Add in the dry ingredients, except for the sprinkles and mix until just combined.

Fill the cookie press with the batter and follow the instructions of the cookie press. Press each cookie on an ungreased cookie sheet. It took me a few attempts but I finally figured out the hang of it and was able to go through the batter quickly making cookies. Decorate unbaked cookies with sprinkles, sanding sugar or just leave them plain.

Your cooking temperature will be dependent on the thickness of the cookies. My cookies were on the thicker side so they took around 12 minutes. I started checking them at 7 minutes to make sure I didn't burn them. Remove when they're golden brown and place on a wire rack to completely cool. Store in an air tight container.

Source: Itsy Bitsy Foodies

No comments: