Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Chicken Thighs with Quinoa and Kale

Being a working mom, it's always nice to be able to make a quick meal in under 30 minutes during the week. I usually save my more intensive recipes for Sundays and wish I had the time to make them Monday through Friday, but my kids would be screaming and crying on the kitchen floor if dinner isn't ready as soon as I'm done working. Yes, I deal with the dreaded witching hour every night....it loathe the hour between 5 and 6 pm. Anyone else?

This recipe originally called for Israeli couscous and would have been one pot, but my grocery store doesn't carry this type of couscous, so I substituted quiona in its place. I'll need to pick up a bag of it next time I'm at Wegmans. This was a hit with everyone, even my little guy ate some of the chicken and kale. I loved that it was easy to make and took no time at all.



1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
1/2 cup dried couscous
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cloves garlic
4 cups thinly sliced kale

In a medium saucepan, cook the quinoa in 1 cup of chicken broth per the directions on the package. While the quinoa is cooking, combine the thyme, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Season both sides of each chicken thigh with this spice mix.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet and saute the onions until they begin to soften. Add in the garlic and kale. Season with the remaining spice mix. Cook until the kale starts to wilt and add in the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth. Stir to combine and then place the chicken back into the pan. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until the chicken is completely cooked through.

To serve, place a scoop of the quinoa in a bowl and then add in the kale, onions and chicken. Cover with the desired amount of broth and enjoy!

Slightly adapted from Eating Well Magazine. 

No comments: