Monday, March 17, 2014

Snickerdoodle Bars - Secret Recipe Club

It's that time of the month - Secret Recipe Club time! While I was prepping for this post, I realized that I've been participating in this group since June 2011...crazy almost three years! What I love about this group is that I'm introduced to so many new blogs and I'm inspired every single month. This month was no exception when I look through my assignment - Little Bit of Everything. Julie and my blogging story started the same - a way to keep track of our recipes and go through all the cookbooks and magazine clippings.

I searched through all of Julie's recipes and was going to make her French Lentil soup, but settled on her recipe for snickerdoodle bars. Snickerdoodles are one of my favorites cookies so I knew I'd love this recipe. I'm actually eating one as I'm typing up this post. :) They taste just like a cookie but have the consistency and texture of a brownie. I'll be sending in half the pan with my husband to work because if they stay here with me all day, I'll eat the entire thing!


2 1/3 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

1 Tbsp sugar + 1 Tbsp cinnamon, mixed together in a small bowl

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in both sugars until combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla until mixed thoroughly. Slowly add in the dry ingredients on low. Spread half of the batter into the bottom of prepared pan. 

 Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the batter. Dollop the remaining batter in teaspoons over the cinnamon sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center, comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for an hour. 

Once cooled, make the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and can be drizzled. Drizzle over the pan and then let set before cutting into bars. 


No comments: