Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Cheesy Cauliflower Rice

I've been seeing cauliflower being used in all different ways so I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon and check it out too. I love eating this vegetable raw and also roasted. I've made a similar recipe with cauliflower and cheese, but it started with steaming and then mashing the vegetable to be similar to mashed potatoes.

After looking at several different recipes for cauliflower rice, I thought I would combine a few different recipes to make my own. Three out of four of us like it....I was shocked my little guy gobbled it down and then ate it the next day for lunch at daycare. I'll be experimenting more with cauliflower to replace starch plus there's other health benefits of eating this vegetable - anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, digestive support..and the list goes on and on.


small to medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
small yellow onion, finely minced
olive oil
salt & fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup (or more) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Using a food processor, shredded the cauliflower into rice sized pieces. 

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the finely minced onion until soft. Add in the cauliflower and cook until it starts to soften and become cooked. I had a larger head of cauliflower and it took about 15 minutes. Once cooked to your liking, add in the cheese and mix to combine. Scoop out and serve! 


No comments: