Monday, March 31, 2014

Quick Risotto with Shrimp, Corn and Edamame

Who else is glad this winter is over? Whew, it felt like it would never end! Storm after storm and bitter cold. I'm just glad all the snow is melted, the birds are chirping and the grass is getting green again! With this winter, I haven't been cooking new recipes like I had previously done, but I'm trying to get back into a good groove and hoping with the access to fresh veggies soon, it will be easier!

I loved this recipe! I'm a fan of risotto but my husband could leave it. I was hoping this recipe would change his mind, and I think it did! The original recipe says it serves 4, but I found it was more closer to 6-7 servings. Neither of my kids like it, but that was fine since I enjoyed it for lunch. The risotto is made with instant brown rice and was so easy to make! The addition of cream cheese made it super creamy without a lot of extra calories (especially great since I gained a little weight over the winter).




1 Tbsp EVOO
1 bunch of scallions, sliced - green and white parts separated
2 cups instant brown rice
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
1 lb peeled and deveined raw shrimp
1 cup frozen edamame, shelled
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp ground pepper

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the white part of the scallion and rice, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add in the wine and cook until the majority of the wine has evaporated. Add the chicken stock and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Place the raw shrimp on the rice and cover. Cook for 5-7 minutes until they're completely cooked through. Stir in the frozen edamame, thawed corn and the pieces of cream cheese. Mix until completely incorporated. Continue cooking uncovered, stirring occasionally until the majority of the liquid is evaporated.

Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and season with fresh ground pepper. Divide into portions and top with the reserved scallion greens.

Source: Eating Well Magazine

No comments: