Thursday, April 3, 2014

Carrot Cake Cookies #FilltheCookieJar

Welcome to April's Fill the Cookie Jar - the group of us bloggers who share cookie recipes monthly based on different themes. This month, we were given the theme, Easter/Spring. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Easter and spring is carrot cake. I know...it's random, but once spring hits, it's time to start thinking about what's going in the garden and the beginning of new things. I searched for several recipes and finally settled on the one below. I liked it because it was paleo and took me outside of my baking comfort zone.I had all the ingredients in my pantry except for almond meal, but I knew the nut stand at the local farmer's market would have it.

These cookies are really good, even Cooper gobbled them up! I made them smaller than the original recipe suggested but it was the perfect size for the kids to eat one and be done. The original recipe also recommended them to be topped with coconut butter, but I thought they were perfect as is and decided to skip that step.


2 cups almond meal
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbsp melted coconut oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup very finely shredded carrots (I used a microplane grater)
1/2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. In a small bowl, heat the maple syrup on high in a microwave for 10 minutes. Add in the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and whisk together.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the shredded carrot and coconut. Using a 2 tablespoon scoop, scoop out the cookie dough and place on the prepared baking sheet leaving 2 inches apart. Using the back of the spoon, press down slightly on the balls to form a disc.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the cookies are cooked through and starting to turn golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to completely cook. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Source: Healthy Food for Living 



No comments: