Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Chocolate Cupcakes

Madeline is cheering again this year and each week different parents are asked to bring in a snack and drink. A couple weeks ago it was my turn and it also happened to be on the of coach's birthday, so I thought cupcakes were the perfect treat after the game. Now I usually would have just made a regular cupcake recipe, but one of the girls has an egg allergy. I didn't want to exclude her from the group, so I searched for a new recipe. The recipe I found that reminded me of the cake in my black bottom cupcake recipe. I made a few tweaks to the recipe based on some of the reviews and I think they turned out really good.

They were super moist and all the girls thought they were delicious! I made sure to use my expensive unsweetened cocoa powder and coffee to make sure the chocolate flavor was intense. I topped them with a simple butter cream frosting and sprinkled a little bit of red sugar sprinkles on top.



3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup canola oil (I am going to cut this back to 2/3 cup next time I make it)
2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cold water
1 cup cold coffee
1/2 bag of chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder. Make three wells in the dry mixture and add the oil into one, vinegar into the second and vanilla into the third. Pour the cold water and coffee over the entire mixture and stir well until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Divide the batter for 24 cupcakes, filled 3/4 way. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of one cupcake comes out clean. Remove from muffin tins and allow to completely cool on a wire rack. Frost with your favorite icing.

Adapted from allrecipes.com 

No comments: