Monday, July 16, 2012

The Secret Recipe Club: Beet & Orzo Salad

I'm excited to be back participating in this month's Secret Recipe Club! I took off last month in anticipation of the birth of my son, Cooper.

This month I was assigned Corina's blog, Searching for Spice! Corina and I have a lot things in common - new babies (she had a little girl in April), trying new recipes and using our blogs as a way to record those new recipes. After searching through her recipes, I found one that looked and sounded delicious - Couscous, Beetroot and Feta Salad. My husband was a little skeptical of the salad, but since it was totally different and something I never would have thought to try on my own, we gave it a shot....and I'm so glad I picked this recipe. The salad was so refreshing, especially during one of the many heatwaves of the summer. I changed up the recipe slightly - using orzo instead of couscous and I used pickled beets instead of just cooked beets.


Orzo, cooked according to package (I made 1/3 box for 4 servings)
pickled red beets
1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese
fresh basil, roughly chopped
roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
fresh ground pepper
olive oil

Divide the orzo between 4 bowls. Top with pickled red beets, feta, basil and sunflower seeds. Season with fresh ground pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.

Want to be part of the Secret Recipe Club? Join here!
Secret Recipe Club

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on little Cooper and welcome back to SRC. Looks like a great recipe, too.

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

Your recipe looks lovely. I am a big fan of beets.

Unknown said...

Looks excellent. I love using beets, but I don't get the opportunity very frequently. Meredith is a little allergic to them. I'll need to keep this in my back pocket for when she's out of town.

Lynne Daley said...

Congratulations on your little bundle from heaven, Cooper-love the name! I love beets now that I am older and I really like the combination of them with feta and orzo! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked this. Congratulations on your little one too!

Miz Helen said...

We just love Beets, this is a great flavor combination for your salad. Great selection for SRC!
Miz Helen
Group B SRC

Kirstin said...

YUM! Love beets, love orzo...bet I'd love this salad!

Trisha said...

The flavors and textures of this salad sound wonderful. Great pick for this months SRC reveal.

Lisa~~ said...

Congrats on the birth of your son. Your salad sounds wonderful, great pic.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Double Chocolate Mousse Cake.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook