Thursday, June 5, 2014

Coconut Macaroons - #FilltheCookieJar

Today's the reveal for June's Fill the Cookie Jar. We're a group of bloggers that are given a theme for the month and then need to bake a cookie based on the theme. It's fun and I always know I'll be baking at least a dozen cookies each month, that's a win in my book!

This month's theme was Father's Day favorites. This was hard for me as my dad would have celebrated his 56th birthday on Tuesday, but he'll be gone 6 years this August. My dad was diagnosed with melanoma in 2004 and fought a 4 year long battle. My dad loved these chocolate pudding cookies with walnuts, it was always the one cookie we made over the holidays, but I know he would have loved these coconut macaroons too. I remember we would go to a local farmer's market and the Italian bakery would have these giant chocolate covered macaroons. They were so good especially as a child. So to honor my dad and celebrate his birthday, here's a quick and simple recipe for these amazing, delicate cookies.



3 large egg whites
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
14 oz bag of sweetened coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 

In a large bowl, whip together the egg whites, sugar, vanilla extract and salt until the mixture is glossy and the sugar is dissolved. Gently fold in the coconut. 

Scoop the batter on the prepared baking sheets in 2 tablespoons sized balls about 1 inch apart. Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the baking sheets half way through the cooking process. Let cool completely. I melted about 1/3 of a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I wish I would have dark chocolate) and placed a teaspoon on top and then sprinkled a little fleur de sel salt on top.

Source: Pinterest


No comments: